Sunday, January 3, 2010

Howie Long and son Chris (Part II)

Howie Long praising Al Groh and the decision of his son, All-ACC Chris Long, to play for Groh at Virginia:

I think handing your kid off is an important thing and I said it three years ago when Chris made the decision to go to Virginia. The only thing I told Chris was that when he committed his junior year [of high school] that if you make the commitment to the University of Virginia, I don’t care if Knute Rockne walks into our living room tomorrow, that’s your word and you keep that commitment. He stood by that.

When [wife] Diane and I say, we’re giving you our son, you’re responsible for him. It’s now your job to make him a better football player, a better person, give him an understanding of what work is all about, commitment, sacrifice, selflessness. And three years later, I sat down with Chris and had this conversation. I said, ‘Look, are you a better football player than when you got there?’ He was hesitant to answer that and I said, let me answer that for you. You’re light years ahead of where you were than when you got there. I said, ‘Are you a smarter football player than when you got there?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ ‘Are you a tougher football player than when you got there?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ ‘Do you think you’ve been prepared to potentially have an opportunity down the road to live your dream and have your shot to play in the NFL?’ He said, ‘Yes, without a doubt.’ I knew that. I just wanted to make sure he knew that. I don’t regret one second sending Chris there and Chris doesn’t regret being there….

I played for a guy named Earl Leggett, who played for the Bears with Doug Atkins. Tough, meaner than snot. He said probably five nice things to me in the first eight years of my career, but he was my presenter at the Hall of Fame. Earl is like a father to me. If I hadn’t played for Earl, I don’t think there’s a Howie Long as people know now.

My son will walk away from the University of Virginia prepared not only for football, but be better prepared for life as a byproduct of playing for Al Groh. There’s no doubt in my mind. And that’s the biggest compliment I can give Al Groh. Al has a singular focus … it’s not PR. I don’t think we’re sending him to solve the world’s problems. But if you want someone who’s driven, 24/7, and I’ve been around it, having played for Al Davis and Earl Leggett, I’ve been around Bill Parcells, I’ve been around Bill Belichick, and for all of them, the singular focus is on one thing and one thing only. And if you’re not on board with that, you’re on the wrong bus. If you’re not fully committed, you’re in the wrong place.